[erlang-questions] Light-weight operating systems supporting Erlang in production web servers

Tue Sep 19 13:37:47 CEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 4:20 PM Lloyd R. Prentice <lloyd@REDACTED>
wrote:

> What light weight open-source off-the shelf operating systems would
> battle-hardened Erlang gurus recommend?

I'm partial to either stripped down Illumos or FreeBSD systems. Build a
minimal Zone/Jail and use that for deploying. You can do green/blue
deployments easily by spinning zones/jails up and down for instance.

At work (Shopgun), we are running stock Ubuntu LTS with AWS CodeDeploy of
Erlang releases. That seems to work pretty well, if you can stand the
enterpriseyness of the AWS stack.

In the future, I'd like to explore a container-based standard. But I think
that solution is still maturing, so I/we haven't made that jump yet.
Currently, we are learning toward Kubernetes, but it might change,
depending on circumstances.