[erlang-questions] Frequency of module reloading and the constant pool

Lukas Larsson lukas@REDACTED
Tue Sep 19 11:40:14 CEST 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Adam Lindberg <hello@REDACTED> wrote:

> Cost wise I'm not sure, but I would advice you to benchmark for your use
> case.

Every time you purge a module, each process heap is scanned for any sign of
the old literals (aka constants) and if a literal is found a GC is done of
that process which copies the literal onto its heap.

So the cost depends on the total heap size of all running processes and the
number of processes that have a reference to those literals on their heaps
at the moment of the purge.

Lukas