[erlang-questions] Light-weight operating systems supporting Erlang in production web servers

Phil Toland phil.toland@REDACTED
Mon Sep 18 15:10:34 CEST 2017

We build the releases. The Erlang and Elixir releases are built in separate
base images so that I don't have to rebuild the whole thing when a new
Elixir release comes out. However, I may switch to the official images once
we get our application onto Erlang 20 and Elixir 1.5.

~p

On September 16, 2017 at 4:26:00 PM, scott ribe (scott_ribe@REDACTED)
wrote:

On Sep 15, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Phil Toland <phil.toland@REDACTED> wrote:

> I second the vote for Alpine Linux. My application is a mix of Erlang and
Elixir and runs in Docker containers. I use Alpine as the base and I get
reasonably sized containers that don't have anything I don't need.

> As a side note, it isn't just about providing the necessary support to
run the BEAM VM. I also want enough of a familiar environment (ls, ps, top,
nslookup/dig, netstat) to troubleshoot issues. Alpine provides that without
the other stuff that you don't need.

> ~phil

When I looked at Alpine, the Erlang in their repo was too old for me. Do
you guys build the releases yourselves, or live with older versions?

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@REDACTED