[erlang-questions] How handle Error in Dialyzer

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Mon Oct 9 14:24:29 CEST 2017

On 10/09/2017 12:16 PM, Lutz Behnke wrote:
> You are right regarding the module dim_3_tree_map. I had not identified
> it as the culprit, as it does not follow the naming convention of the
> application and did not recognized it as one of ours.
>
> And due to the unfamiliar form of the error messages, ... <SNIP>

Error messages generally have that property.  They only start to look
mildly familiar only once you have seen them for a number of times
already.  What is more surprising is that you may be using some software
successfully for quite some time before you see the first error being
printed from it.

Based on your experience, I think that Dialyzer's error messages can be
improved -- please do send the offending module.  Somebody thought it's
a good idea to create an io_list() instead of a string() expecting that
the printing routine at the end will always be doing the flattening.
Apparently, this is not always the case when things go wrong...

Kostis