[erlang-questions] Small performance hint: avoid abusing module_info(attributes)

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Sun Oct 1 14:09:35 CEST 2017

At the very least, one should exercise caution on some particular modules,
and perhaps generally modules that have lots of type specs.

Interestingly, when fetching attributes from beam_lib, dialyzer-generated
attributes are moved to a subgroup, so at least in OTP 20.0 code, attribute
lists are no longer than 4.

Fetching via M:module_info/1, however, the list is flat, and can be quite
long, mostly depending on the number of types. Looking again at OTP, but
example below lists all modules with at least 20 attributes):

19> lists:foldr(fun(D,Acc) -> filelib:fold_files(D, ".*", false, fun(F,A)
-> M = list_to_atom(filename:basename(F,".beam")), try
M:module_info(attributes) of As -> case length(As) of L when L >= 20 ->
[{M,L}|A]; _ -> A end catch error:_ -> A end end, []) ++ Acc end, [],
code:get_path()).
[{gen_fsm,20},
 {erl_parse,208},
 {xmerl_xpath_parse,45},