[erlang-questions] nodes active/inactive, but why?

Alexandre Karpov alexakarpov@REDACTED
Sun Oct 1 05:22:30 CEST 2017

Hi all,

(Forgive me if this mailing list is not a best place for newbie question
(y'all seem to be way above that level, based on what I've seen in the last
couple days).

Working through Joe's book, I've got to the exciting bits in "Distributed
Programming" (chapter 14), which has examples for setting up rpc calls
between nodes on the same machine (trivial) and different machines (not as
trivial). I've got two boxes up for this exercise, got Erlang installed,
and set up my DNS - I can ping both. But one of them acts like an "inactive
node", so I don't think my setup is ready for playing:

Node 1 (started with: *erl -name little setcookie abc):*

(little@REDACTED)1> node().

'little@REDACTED'

Node 2 (started with *erl -name yyz setcookie abc):*

1> node().

nonode@REDACTED

Um... what did I do wrong? running 'hostname' gives expected results:
yyz.alexakarpov.xyz and little.alexakarpov.xyz respectively, and they're
started the same way... both are running same Erlang versions, of course.

Thank you for your time!
Alex