[erlang-questions] How does Erlang TCP determine the end of a TCP stream?

scott ribe scott_ribe@REDACTED
Wed Nov 1 00:31:46 CET 2017

On Oct 31, 2017, at 5:05 PM, Eric des Courtis <eric.des.courtis@REDACTED> wrote:

> I think this is probably unnecessary since an implementation for something like {packet,4} is trivial to begin with so you will likely never see an issue with it. Not to mention UDP and TCP both have checksums checked by the OS anyway.

As I pointed out, you can have a bug on the sending end as well. And the TCP checksum is extremely weak, basically just sum of words--that's fine until you have a terribly noisy corrupt transport...

So yes, in a lot of circumstances it's overkill, but I prefer to be paranoid when a network is involved.

--
Scott Ribe
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottribe/