[erlang-questions] Question about per file compile options

Michael Kokich mkokich@REDACTED
Fri Feb 24 06:09:49 CET 2017

Hi all

I've worked out how to do it and learnt some things along the way which I'll document for future travelers. The -compile module attribute is the correct place for per file compile options, however not for any custom values you want to supply. Unlike other module attributes, any values that are passed via -compile don't end up in the AST which was a surprise to me.

E.g. my example

-compile([
  {parse_transform, lager_transform},
  {lager_parse_transform_functions, [
    {metadata_value, {module_name, function_name}}
  ]}
]).

Got turned into:

{attribute,3,compile,[]),

If you use :module_info() on a module in which you've included the -compile options it also doesn't include the values. I'll assume that the options passed to parse_transform/2 come from the same source as the compile values in :module_info().

To apply these transforms per file I've set my own module attribute and as we're walking the AST merge the values into any globally supplied values as long as I set it before I start transforming the logging lines themselves.

E.g
-lager_parse_transform_functions([
  {metadata_value, {module_name, function_name}}
]).

Now everything works as expected and the tests pass!

Michael