[erlang-questions] Erlang basic doubts about String, message passing and context switching overhead

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Tue Feb 7 06:09:24 CET 2017

On 31/01/17 9:52 PM, zxq9 wrote:

> That is just one problem. The lack of actual script casting VS only the special case of

upper() and lower() means that I cannot use any unicode library function
to compare two

exactly equivalent strings that represent a user's name in sound-spelling.
Can you clarify "sound-spelling" here?

Since the surname "Menzies" is, for example, pronounced something like
"minnies" in Scotland but "menzees" in Australia, I' not sure how far
"sound-spelling" would take us for Anglophone names.
(There are plenty of other examples.)

For that matter, my mother's father's surname was Covič but in this
country everyone pronounced it as if it was "Covick" so he and his
brother, with the same surname, ended up pronouncing it differently.

I guess my point is that it's hard enough to tell when two names with
the *same* spelling sound the same that I am in complete awe of anyone
who manages to do a good-enough job telling when two *differently*
spelled names sound the same.  Do you use a massive locale-dependent
dictionary, or what?