[erlang-questions] optimal way to append an element in a list inside a map

Dmytro Lytovchenko dmytro.lytovchenko@REDACTED
Tue Aug 29 20:34:41 CEST 2017

> Hello,
>
> Premature optimisation is an evil ;-)
>
> I would use the following syntax:
> ```
> append(Key, Value, Map) ->
>    List = case Map of
>       #{Key := Tail} ->
>          [Value | Tail];
>       _ ->
>          [Value]
>    end,
>    Map#{Key => List}.
> ```
>
> Lists are not copied they are referenced. Maps… Hmm, I am not sure. I hope
> the implementation is smart enough to keep reference as well.

In BEAM any object which does not fit into a machine register (such as a
list or a map) will be placed on heap and a pointer will be used instead.
But prepending to a list will change the list pointer value (the pointer to
list head will change, the remaining tail elements will not move and will
not change). This requires writing the new head into the map value. And
this will incur a map update, which most likely will rebuild the map. I'm
almost sure that the optimization possibilities for this are very limited
and are similar to tuple optimizations (i.e. works only at creation time).