[erlang-questions] Proper way to run C code without crashing the VM

Dmytro Lytovchenko dmytro.lytovchenko@REDACTED
Wed Aug 16 15:58:46 CEST 2017

When the stability is important you have several choices:
1. Not use a NIF, write your logic in Erlang. Big industrial Erlang users
may prefer this, for better debuggability and predictability at the cost of
performance.
2. Write a really safe NIF which doesn't crash. Use defensive programming
approach. Use safe language like Rust.
3. Separate your C code from Erlang node, write a port — a console
application which accepts input in stdin and prints results to stdout, then
use Erlang open port function to start it and port commands to communicate
with it.