[erlang-questions] Slave node crashes when using proto_dist inet_tls

Jesse Stimpson jstimpson@REDACTED
Tue Aug 8 23:24:54 CEST 2017

Is it possible to start a slave node from a master that uses SSL for Erlang
distribution?

I have a valid bootfile, and I've been able to get regular rpc between two
distinct nodes working, However, when I use slave:start/3 with all the
necessary args, my slave crashes with the error below.

slave:start_link("localhost", jms, "-boot start_ssl -proto_dist inet_tls
-ssl_dist_opt server_certfile /path/to/server.pem -ssl_dist_opt
server_verify verify_none -ssl_dist_opt server_depth 0 -ssl_dist_opt
server_fail_if_no_peer_cert false -ssl_dist_opt client_certfile
/path/to/client.pem -ssl_dist_opt client_verify verify_none -ssl_dist_opt
client_depth 0 -setcookie mycookie -env ERL_CRASH_DUMP
erl_crash_dump.slave").

In erl_crash_dump.slave:

Slogan: Kernel pid terminated (application_controller)
({application_start_failure,kernel,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,file_server_2,{no_master,{badrpc,nodedown}}}},{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}}})

A cursory reading of the code shows that during the kernel startup, the
file_server is attempting an rpc, and failing, presumably because the SSL
stack has not yet been started. Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
Jesse

--

<http://www.republicwireless.com/>