[erlang-questions] Changing the representation of sets

Tristan Sloughter t@REDACTED
Wed Apr 26 04:36:44 CEST 2017

> But they should be *new* modules.
> The old modules can be deprecated, that's fine,
> and even eventually removed (so that people have to pull
> them out of old distributions if they want to keep using
> them).

Time for sets2 and dict2 :). We've already got pg2, phash2, rebar3...
Putting numbers at the end of functions/modules/programs seems to be a
pattern in Erlang.

I'd definitely want it deprecated and removed eventually if it were
determined the memory size tradeoff is worth it for the speed
improvements.

Personally I'd prefer to just get a map when my current code upgraded
OTP versions, but understand that especially since sets and dicts aren't
types, so binary_to_term can't do the conversion (aside from checking
the structure of the tuple it decodes but that is scary), this is asking
for trouble.

Tristan