[erlang-questions] 'Dynamic Calls'

Duncan duncan@REDACTED
Mon Apr 10 16:25:06 CEST 2017

		Jesper, Brujo,Thank you. Wrt behavior/callbacks - The main reason I'm not using callbacks is due to my ignorance. I sort of know how to use them (obviously not fully understanding them) when others design the behavior and I use it, but I haven't made any myself. The 33 modules are all gen_servers and I think the modules I'm calling are the public api (eg in this case calling the stop function which sends a stop message to a selected subset of them). I don't understand what the behavior would be and the callbacks in this case for the 'stop a selected subset of servers' function.Duncan

		iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting, LLC
The closer you look, the more you see
	_____________________________
From: Brujo Benavides <fernando.benavides@REDACTED>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] 'Dynamic Calls'
To: Jesper Louis Andersen <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED>
Cc:  <duncan@REDACTED>,  <erlang-questions@REDACTED>

Hi Duncan,
	This is the reasoning behind the rule. As usual, Jesper explained it in a much much better way :)	Now, my question would be: If you have ~33 modules with the same function, why not defining a behavior for them?	Simply adding a proper -callback (and maybe -optional_callbacks(…)) attribute(s) to your module where you have the dynamic call and -behaviour(…) to the others will not only remove Elvis warning but also let the compiler check if you’re doing things right ;)
	Cheers!