[erlang-questions] Accessing the documentation at runtime

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Sep 29 11:03:05 CEST 2016

Hi!

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Lutz Behnke <lutz.behnke@REDACTED
mburg.de> wrote:

> the discussion leaves me with the impression that everybody has his or her
> own method of accessing the documentation. And even that may change
> according to circumstances. I think a solution should be modular to cater
> to a wide range of personal preferences and situational restrictions.
>
> Joe's suggestion of a REST engine, that can provide the documentation in
> the format of your choice, does not automatically mean it only works
> online. Lets write a small doc-engine that can do all that. It should run
> as a self contained program on your local machine. And erlang.org may
> need the full phoenix+nginx-proxy+hardware-loadbalancer (or whatever) to
> support the traffic (is that what CDNs are for?). But erlide or emacs or
> the erl-shell could all access this locally.
> The user can choose to configure the localhost, the work group server or
> erlang.org as the source machine.

Several (and in increasing numbers) editors and IDEs have started using the
concept of "language servers" that are standalone servers providing
information about source code (code completion, context documentation,
etc). There is a protocol specified at https://github.com/Microsof
t/language-server-protocol. Serving documentation like we discussed is not
yet part of the protocol, but I created an issue to see what they think
about it.

I have started working on implementing such a server for (and in) Erlang.
It's very prototype-y at the moment. Even if the standard protocol won't
support this case, it would be easy to extend it.

I do not understand why there is a discussion on the html layout in the
> days of reactive design. Format the html for a lynx or similar for use when
> no javascript is available. Do proper _logical_ markup
> (function-definition, example, etc.) for CSS consumption.

I believe it's because we're not web developers :-) The logical markup is
what I set up to do.

> Using the REST server concept it would be easy to add an option to use
> personalized CSS URLs. This would make catering to special accessibility
> needs (color blind, hate of syntax highlighting, etc.) a lot easier.

That is an interesting idea. For the record, this can be done without any
REST server, just make sure that whichever method is used to retrieve the
docs accepts parameters and can do the processing.

best regards,
Vlad