[erlang-questions] Accessing the documentation at runtime

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Sep 28 22:28:00 CEST 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> Regarding an API
>
> It is not a coincidence that the HTML documentation for (say
> lists.erl) can be obtained by fetching the page
> http://erlang.org/doc/man/lists.html
>
> How about a REST interface to extract the parts of the documentation?
>
> For example
>
>  http://erlang.org/doc/man/lists?type=xml
>  would fetch the lists.xml (the documentation)
>
>  http://erlang.org/doc/man/lists?type=erl
> (the code)
>
>  and
> http://erlang.org/doc/man/lists?type=xml&func=append&arity=2
> would fetch the documentation for lists:append/2 etc.
>

>From other comments on the documentation thread, there are many people that
work offline, so accessing the documentation via internet is not useful.
Even so, I would like to cache it locally, so it could be saved in an
archive just as we said before.

If we *standardise* the interface then writing tools to present this in
> different ways should possible

We can standardise it just as well as to accessing the local file, how it
gets there is another issue. Maybe it was downloaded, maybe it was
installed, maybe it was built.

BTW, we also want to make sure that we use the documentation matching the
current version of the module, so we need the module's version attribute as
key.

regards,
Vlad