[erlang-questions] Erlang documentation -- a modest proposal

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Sep 28 12:40:47 CEST 2016

On 09/28/2016 12:22 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED
> <mailto:essen@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     As far as my workflow is concerned, the Erlang shell is nearly never
>     used. So starting the shell to then look for the function I want is
>     not as efficient as just opening a man page. Not to mention the lack
>     of search and navigation, plus the fact I'd need to open a separate
>     shell just to keep the documentation on-screen while using the shell
>     further.
>

> I don't use the shell either, but I suppose that from a workflow POV,
> having a separate terminal tab with an erlang/elixir shell where one can
> enter "h something" is the same as having a terminal tab with bash where
> one enters "man something"?

It would be if I kept the terminal around once I got whatever info I
needed, which is rarely the case.

I also occasionally need to "killall beam.smp".

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu