[erlang-questions] Erlang documentation -- a modest proposal

Andrew Berman rexxe98@REDACTED
Tue Sep 27 18:45:12 CEST 2016

I'm sure some of you will disagree, but I've always found the Java SE docs
to be easy to use and useful: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/

Couple reasons why:

   1. The class list on the left doesn't move when I scroll on the right.
   I'd say this is a must with any documentation.  Erlang docs already do
   this, but I'd like to just point out how essential it is.

   2. When you click a class, you get a nice, detailed class description at
   the top, then you get a summary of all the methods.  I think this summary
   is something that would be very useful for Erlang docs.  Most of the time I
   don't need to see all the details of an Erlang function, I just need to
   know of its existence, briefly what it does, and what it takes in and spits
   out.  This sort of summary is great for that.  And when I do need more
   in-depth info, I can click the function name and it takes me right to it.

   3. I like how everything is clearly sectioned off.  Each method in the
   docs has its own box, each section is clearly defined, etc.  This goes
   to Loïc's point of indentation.  By sectioning off the methods, it makes
   things very readable.  I can scroll down and immediately know what method
   I'm on and what the text below it refers to no matter where I am in the doc.

   4. Everything is hyperlinked.  If there is a class referenced, it's
   hyperlinked so I can go and visit that class very easily.  Again, Erlang
   docs pretty much do this as well, but I'd imagine there are places where it
   can be expanded.

--Andrew