[erlang-questions] List comprehension puzzler

Tue Sep 20 21:55:16 CEST 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Lloyd R. Prentice <lloyd@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Question: how can we time the proposed solutions to compare performance?

One solution is https://github.com/jlouis/eministat

But one has to weigh the most efficient solution against two things:

* Which solution is the most readable and elegant. It is more likely to be
correct.
* How many ISBN numbers per second are we looking at?

Modern computers are unfairly quick at computation once data are on the CPU
itself. So unless you have a very large count of ISBN numbers to verify, I
would perhaps spend my time elsewhere in the code base. Your systems
overall efficiency is likely to suffer from other factors than a single
ISBN verification.

--
J.