[erlang-questions] List comprehension puzzler

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Tue Sep 20 15:44:30 CEST 2016

'Lo again Hernando,

Shortly after I responded to your post I realized that you might be interested in the problem that led to my list comprehension puzzler question:

I'm working on a web application that requires users to enter International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs). Thus I need a function to validate the format of user input.

ISBNS are either 10 or 13-digits. The standard specifies a check-sum algorithm, but that seemed too complicated for my purposes. So, after struggling with the list comprehension puzzler and Dan Gudmundsson's helpful input, I came up with this:

isbn_format_valid(ISBN) ->
   D = fun(I) -> (I >= $0) and (I =< 9) end,
   NotIntegers = [I || I <- ISBN, D(I) == true],
   Flag1 = NotIntegers == [],
   Flag2 = (length(ISBN) == 13) or (length(ISBN) == 10),
   Flag1 and Flag2.

As you can see, our minds ran down the same track.

There may be a faster, more elegant, way to solve the problem, but this seems to do the job. Now if I can only figure out how to use the Library of Congress API to retrieve book data...

Thanks again for your post,

Lloyd