[erlang-questions] Apology

Luke random.outcomes@REDACTED
Tue Sep 20 07:07:02 CEST 2016

Good documentation is designed for readability, that goes beyond just
content - it includes layout, organisation and definitely aesthetics. The
Erlang docs are a virtualized printout, not an interactive guide on how to
use a programming language.

Look at the difference in these two pages.

http://erlang.org/doc/design_principles/applications.html

vs

http://elixir-lang.org/docs/stable/elixir/Application.html

Why doesn't anyone ever mention that the docs just look crap? It's easy to
fix, and would make a massive difference on the impression new devs get
about Erlang. These days programmers have largely become accustomed to a
certain look and feel, and have an intuition on how to dig for what they're
trying to find which doesn't stem from a time when you would turn to the
back of the printout and scan down the index, apologies to the E///
greybeards in the list :P

The underlying issue of terse or inadequate explanation would take longer
to fix, I think allowing pull requests would be a big step forward. Also,
what's with the multiple PDFs - you have a user manual, getting started
guide, reference manual, probably more that I can't remember right now.
There has got to be a way to just combine these into a single portal that
all developers can refer back to.

Lots of good information has been kept in this mailing list, so mails from
it often come up in Google. Tell me, how quickly did you find the answer on
this page http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2007-May/026655.html
compared to this one
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2065990/defining-erlang-functions-in-the-shell

I'm not a novice programmer - I had been coding for 10 years when I picked
up Erlang with a masters in Software Eng, and immediately fell in love with
the language, but with such an expert community behind it I think it's been
a while since somebody who didn't intimately understand everything about
Erlang in detail gave feedback on the experience for new developers.