[erlang-questions] game engines?

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Sun Sep 18 21:34:08 CEST 2016

On 09/17/2016 07:11 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm curious, has anybody written an Erlang-based game engine that implements a process per game entity?
>
> I've been been finding various examples of Erlang being used to manage user sessions, and other aspects of MMORPGs - but nothing that simply does the obvious - treating each object, player, etc. as an Erlang process.

http://www.naos-engine.com/ uses Erlang to manage NPCs and if the Actor Model concept is used in gaming, it is normally to manage at least the NPCs.  With typical Erlang usage you will have an Erlang process per PC socket connection.  So, treating each NPC and PC as an Erlang process should be a natural approach.

Best Regards,
Michael