[erlang-questions] When the heck is now -

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Oct 21 12:33:27 CEST 2016

My problem is converting the return value of erlang:system_time() to a
local correct printable time that agrees with my clock.

The value of erlang:local_lime() is irrelevant - the program I am talking to
(SonicPi) reads the same clock as the erlang:system() reads - we need
to clock sync
on this value in a distributed system where other nodes might have
badly adjusted
clocks - so all I want to do is convert the return value of
erlang:local_time() to local time units for debugging purposes.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:21 AM, José Valim
<jose.valim@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> erlang:localtime() will return the local time as a {date, time} tuple
> according to your OS clock. As you mentioned, erlang:system_time() is the
> POSIX time which is UTC (UTC-ish since POSIX time doesn't account for leap
> seconds).
>
> Also Erlang 19.1 has added support for second, millisecond, microsecond, etc
> as units. Previously they were seconds, milli_seconds, micro_seconds, etc
> which did not agree with the SI convention.

> Therefore I believe you are
> reading the documentation for the most recent Erlang version while using an
> older version.

This could be true - I'll have to check.

Actually my erlang is <the latest>-1 (or 2) and my documentation is
what google found for me