[erlang-questions] Port handlers and binary leaks?

Oliver Korpilla Oliver.Korpilla@REDACTED
Mon Oct 17 13:26:30 CEST 2016

Hello.

Recent reading got me concerned about leaking memory by having big refc binaries.

In our system we have permanent TCP and SCTP handlers that receive outside messages, then forward it into the system for processing.

For example, these events have ASN.1 payloads. Decoding is done in throw-away processes... however, I'm concerned that the TCP and SCTP handling processes might cause memory leaks because every payload buffer is handled there first.

I saw in "Erlang in Anger" that routers should only return where to route to, not handle the message. But when handling sockets I don't see that option?

What is good practice here? Am "I" at risk?

Thanks and best regards,
Oliver