[erlang-questions] System limit for erlang process and Pid

ARUN P arunp@REDACTED
Sun Oct 16 14:56:39 CEST 2016

Hi,
     Am a newbie in erlang programming world and I seriously need some
assistance. I am running an application in which am using
*timer:apply_interval(1000, ?MODULE, monitor_loop , [])*, as per my
analysis found that this function call creates new processes at every
1000 millisecond interval. Since my *monitor loop* function only takes
around 800 ms to complete its duty and then it dies,  the number of
processes are not getting increased. But as per my observation every
time am getting a new PID and the PID number is always increasing and I
came to know that the pid is limited by, 1 word for a process identifier
from the current local node + 5 words for a process identifier from
another node.

     So what will happen if my application continuous to run for months
without stopping, will it crash the entire erlang vm. How the garbage
collection will be happening for the dead process since for every
process some amount of heap memory is getting allocated. Can somebody
kindly give me some guidance.

Thanks in advance,
Arun