[erlang-questions] Erlang node core dumps

Per Hedeland per@REDACTED
Sat Oct 15 13:16:22 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-15 04:41, Akash Chowdhury wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks a lot for the reply. Our servers are of Solaris

Ha - it so happens that my quote about gdb in the previous message was
from a thread about this exact thing happening (or appearing to happen)
on precisely Solaris. If you google "solaris sigkill core dump" (I did
it without "solaris") it should be the first hit. The person saying it
is/was well-known and -respected in the Solaris user community, I think
he eventually went to work for Sun (back when it was its own company).

Anyway his comment was probably not in the vein of my interpretation
(that the core dump was corrupt and gdb had problems decoding it), but
rather that gdb might have problems in general on Solaris, being
strictly a third-party add-on in that environment. AFAIK Solaris shipped
with "native" debugger(s) even after Sun's C toolchain was made a
separate product. You might want to try 'adb' or 'mdb'.

--Per