[erlang-questions] establishing preconditions at startup

Garry Hodgson garry@REDACTED
Thu Oct 13 16:33:40 CEST 2016

I'm working on an application whose startup phase relies on some
potentially lengthy setup of tunnels and such before we can start up our
ranch listeners and start regular communications. I've thought of a
number of approaches (application dependencies, supervisors, deferred
initialization using handle_info, etc) that could ensure this
sequencing, but they feel awkward, like I'm working against the grain.

So how do other people handle this? Is there canonical erlangy way to do
it? I reflexively avoid doing long running things in otp callbacks, but
I expect there are better and worse places/times to do this.

Thanks