[erlang-questions] gen_statem and multiple timeout vs 1

Vans S vans_163@REDACTED
Mon Oct 3 16:30:32 CEST 2016

>> > If the implementation is quite simple using timers, I would not mind putting in the pull request.  I just came here to discuss about it and see if it is something that fits.
>> > The rational is using erlang:send_after/3 is not enough in more complex cases, we need to also be stopping and starting new timers.
>
> Does not erlang:start_timer/3,4 work in this case?  You can have any number
> of such timers simultaneously running just as for erlang:send_after/3,4.

The example I gave was poor I forgot one key point and that was a case where cancel_timer was required. Say every scream resets your running.  So every 500ms a scream event would return
[{timeout, 500,scream }, {timeout, 100, running_step}].

Using erlang:send_after we would have to cancel_timer on the running_step, also I am not sure how timers work, but if a function took long would a timer msg arrive in the mailbox? Thus cancel_timer would not work ideally? Say if the erlang:send_after is in 100ms, and we spend 200ms in a function then at the end of that function we call cancel_timer.

> Here is an attempt:
>
> You return [{named_timeout,Time,Name}] and will get an event
> named_timeout,Name.  If you return [{named_timeout,NewTime,Name}] with the
> Name of a running timer it will restart with NewTime.  Therefore you can
> cancel it with [{named_timeout,infinity,Name}].  Any number of these can
> run simultaneously and you distinguish them by Name.
>
> Or is the benefit of this i.e just to hide the TimerRef behind the timer
> Msg/Name too small to be worthy of implementing?

I think the benefit is two fold, first is not managing cancel timer, and second is the code would be cleaner to read and reason about.

'infinity' as the timeout perhaps is misleading, could a new atom be introduced for this, perhaps cancel?
{timeout, cancel, scream}.

Crash if the scream timer is not initiated. If we cancel a timer that has to exist, we are in an undefined state.

'infinity' is fine for practicality purposes or the maximum value of a 56 bit integer (if that is the correct value before venturing into big Erlang integers).

What is the benefit of {named_timeout,Time,Name} vs the current {timeout,Time,EventName}?

    On Monday, October 3, 2016 5:45 AM, Raimo Niskanen <raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED> wrote:

 On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 02:25:13PM +0000, Vans S wrote:
> The reasoning behind this is because I am using a handle_event_function callback mode. I find this is more flexible.  A standard state machine can be in 1 state at 1 time.
>
> But things are more complex now and the desire for a state machine to be in multiple states at 1 time is crucial.
>
> For example you can be running and screaming. Not only running then stopping to transition to screaming, then stop screaming and start running again.
> Maybe this is beyond the scope of a state machine, excuse if my terminology is off.

I'd say that your state machine can only be in one state at any given time
but you have a complex state as in multi dimensional and each combination
of the different dimensions counts as a different state.  So you have 4
discrete states: {not screaming, not running}, {not screaming, running},
{screaming, not running} and {screaming, running} but wants to reason about
the state as one complex term: {IsScreaming, IsRunning}.

> If the implementation is quite simple using timers, I would not mind putting in the pull request.  I just came here to discuss about it and see if it is something that fits.
>
> The rational is using erlang:send_after/3 is not enough in more complex cases, we need to also be stopping and starting new timers.

Does not erlang:start_timer/3,4 work in this case?  You can have any number
of such timers simultaneously running just as for erlang:send_after/3,4.

> An example of this is say if we are in a running state and every 100 ms we timeout, when we timeout we take an extra step and update our position in the world, also we determine how fast we are running and maybe the next step will be in 80ms now.
>
> Now while we are running, we also got a moral boost by seeing a well lit street, so in 5000ms our moral boost will expire, and will timeout.
>
> Also we start screaming due to panic, every 500ms we send a scream to all nearby recipients.
>
> Maybe this is all beyond the scope of a state machine.  But for me it seems the only change required to support this is allowing multiple timers, and Erlang always had the design philosophy of "do what works" vs "do what is academically sound".

The question is if it is possible to create a timer concept in gen_statem
that is easier to use and still as flexible as erlang:start_timer/3,4 +
erlang:cancel_timer/1,2.

With those primitives you have to handle the TimerRef yourself.

Here is an attempt:

You return [{named_timeout,Time,Name}] and will get an event
named_timeout,Name.  If you return [{named_timeout,NewTime,Name}] with the
Name of a running timer it will restart with NewTime.  Therefore you can
cancel it with [{named_timeout,infinity,Name}].  Any number of these can
run simultaneously and you distinguish them by Name.

Or is the benefit of this i.e just to hide the TimerRef behind the timer
Msg/Name too small to be worthy of implementing?

/ Raimo