[erlang-questions] Best Practice in Map keys: Atoms or Binaries (or Strings)?

Grzegorz Junka list1@REDACTED
Sun Oct 2 13:07:40 CEST 2016

I don't think Ruel was asking about differences between maps and
records, only what datatype is optimal for map's keys?

I was hoping someone from the OTP team will take on this question, but
from what I understand the key is always hashed using some C functions.
So, the shorter is the key the faster will be the hashing, but the
difference will be so small, that only noticeable on really big data
structures (like long lists/strings, binaries or deep data structures,
like dicts, where it has to be traversed, and by long I mean a few
dozens of bytes).

Grzegorz