[erlang-questions] UDP buffers and packet loss

Sun Nov 20 01:26:40 CET 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM pablo platt <pablo.platt@REDACTED> wrote:

> I think it means that my Erlang server is dropping packets.
> If it's not because of small receive buffers, what can be the reason?

Linux?

cat /proc/net/udp and look for drops. If you burst UDP packets, there is a
chance the UDP buffer in the kernel fills up and then it will start to drop
packets.

The way to handle this is either to make sure your processing speed is
above the packet arrival rate, and then increasing the buffer size so you
can handle the case where the packet arrives but the Erlang system isn't
scheduled in due time.