[erlang-questions] How to get scheduler_id in nif?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Nov 7 11:34:10 CET 2016

On 11/07/2016 12:23 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 9:09 AM Sergej Jurečko <sergej.jurecko@REDACTED
> <mailto:sergej.jurecko@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     My suggestion is to call it from erlang when starting up your nif
>     and save it to a thread local storage variable.
>

> That sounds like a data race waiting to happen. If your process is moved
> from one scheduler to another or if the scheduler you are running on are
> taken offline by the operating system, you are in trouble.
>
> I'm more inclined to ask why it is useful to know which scheduler_id a
> given process is being run on.

It is if you only send it on init. It's fine if you pass it in every call.

For example you have N threads in the NIF, and use the scheduler id to
pick the thread (works best when N = # of schedulers; often being the #
of cores also). I do this in a customer project, it works very well. The
trick is that it ultimately doesn't matter what number is passed, so it
can change just fine.

If you really need to know the scheduler of the calling process, afraid
the only solution is to tie the process to a specific scheduler. But I
wouldn't recommend it.

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu