[erlang-questions] Can werl be detached?

John R. Ashmun john.ashmun@REDACTED
Mon May 30 23:49:16 CEST 2016

Now, running under R18.2 and Windows 10, I get a popup error message window
that says

"Werl

Failed to execute erl:  The system cannot find the file specified."

unless the current directory for the command prompt is "c:\Program
Files\erl7.3\erts-7.3\bin".

This is really similar to the restriction that Danial Goertzen pointed out
about R15 albeit with an error message about a different file that's in
...\erts-(Vsn)\bin.  Could werl be changed to look in the directory near
its own location rather than the current directory?  Further, it appears
that erl.exe and werl.exe are each duplicated between ..\erl7.3\bin and
..erl7.3\erts-7.3\bin, for what purpose I am unsure, yet if werl were able
to find itself, it could certainly find erl.exe.

When the current directory is set to ..\erts-7.3\bin and I enter

werl -detached -run wx demo

the demo runs admirably, but after I close its window, a Windows process
"erl" continues to run.  Doubtless this is the detached VM, but how do I
explain to naive game users its continuation and the need to stop it using,
e.g., Task Manager?

These startup questions have led me to the init module and its boot/1 and
stop/0 & stop/1 functions.  I think I would like my release's init process
to call stop( ) when my game stops.  Is there a handy example of the use of
init:stop( )?

Regards,
John Ashmun