[erlang-questions] Third party libs you always use

Sun May 15 15:07:40 CEST 2016

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Ryan Stewart <zzantozz@REDACTED> wrote:

> Q: Are there third-party libraries that you almost automatically include
> when you start or become involved with an Erlang project?

Just mentioning the three most important:

Feuerlabs Exometer_core - You need a way to add metrics into your system so
you know what is going on. Usually, I'm willing to sacrifice a lot of raw
processing power on a node if the upshot is I know what is going on inside
the node. In distributed systems, much slowdown is not your own code, but
the interaction with foreign code. Knowing what time properties the foreign
systems have will make it much easier to pinpoint where an eventual problem
is in your own system.

Fred Hebert's Recon - when things start going wrong, it is nice to be able
to trace the application. Nowadays, I add relatively little debug log
statements. I just trace the system instead.

Ulf Wiger's gproc (alternative: Ostinelli's syn) - gproc works around the
limit of local process registration: you can only register an atom, not an
arbitrary term. It also lets you subscribe to changes, which is really nice
when a system tries to recover from failure. You can demand certain
processes exist before you continue.

--
J.