[erlang-questions] Wanted additions to the maps module?

Lukas Larsson garazdawi@REDACTED
Tue May 10 08:46:51 CEST 2016

> On 10 maj 2016, at 02:03, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:
> The problem is that hashed data structures do not give you this guarantee.

Not all hashed data structures will, but some do. The ones we use for
maps is an example of one that does give this guarantee.

> It is not clear to me that a *stable* order is any easier to provide than a
> *published* order.

With a non-published order the hashing algorithm can be changed
without having to guarantee the iterator order, or tweak/change the
algorithm as long as the property of stable order is maintained. So
while it may not be easier to provide, not publishing the order makes
it easier to do future optimizations.