[erlang-questions] Wanted additions to the maps module?

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Mon May 9 18:29:28 CEST 2016

OK, I am the one who asked for first/next so this is my use case.

As Lukas mentioned I need this to implement Lua tables in Erlang using maps.

I need to be able to iterate over a map one key/value pair at a time. For
me the order is completely irrelevant as along as if I do a sequence of
first-next-next-... using the previous key in the next next I am guaranteed
to *uniquely* get *all* the keys in the map. If I modify the map and try to
continue from where I was then all bets are of and there are no guarantees
any more that I will get all keys or that they will be unique.

Lua has exactly this interface to its tables so I need to be able to do it
as well. Not having it is not an option. So while having maps or folds over
a map is great there is no way these can be used to implement what I need
efficiently. That's it.

Now I use a private 2-3 trees implementation of dict with the added
functions and it works well. But using maps would seem logical and more
efficient.

That's about it.

Robert