[erlang-questions] Rhetorical structure of code: Anyone interested in collaborating?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon May 2 13:56:35 CEST 2016

I was thinking. There is another problem, which is not addressed.

We just publish final code - but not the process involved to get to the code.

Reading completed code does not answer the question "how did the author
get to the point where they wrote the code" - the mistakes we made along the
path and the lessons learned are not recorded.

When I teach programming I always make loads of mistakes. Sometimes
I see a mistake coming, which if I were programming at home I would correct
"in my head" and type in the correct version - so even if you recorded
my keystrokes you would not see what was going on "in my head".

Now since *most* programming does go on "in my head" before I even
get to type the program in, you won't learn much by watching me.

When I teach - I tell people what this internal dialogue is and make
the mistakes - so they can learn.

I think programming is a craft - and like all crafts has to be learned from
a good teacher.

I "know" a good program when I see one - but I have great difficulty putting
into words *why* it's good.

I still find pencil and paper, whiteboards, and writing down in clear English
what I'm trying to solve superior to any fancy software. Google is great
for searching for solutions to problems "once you know which problem
you want to solve"

Programming takes a long time to get good at - I've been doing it for
47 years and am still learning - this is because learning to program
is actually learning to think and different programming languages and
programming styles are really different ways of thinking.

After about 35 years of programming I found that most programming
moved "into my head" so it was better to think about what would happen
than to type in the program and see.

Virtually all the code I write is in the form of "micro experiments" -
since I'm not sure what will happen if I do something. The "big" or
complete program
can be written once all the micro-experiments have been done.

When I can't write the code - it is always because I haven't
understood the problem - this is very frustrating I *think* I've
understood the problem - yet the fact I can't write the code is a
clear sign that I have not understood the problem - but I do not yet
know why.

a glass of wine, stoking the cat usually solves the problem (or not).

IDE's in all their glory help me type the solution to my problem into
the computer - but they do not help me formulate the correct problem
in the first place.

Robert: What problem are you solving?
Joe:      Bla bla bla
Robert: That's not the problem, that's the solution.
             What was the problem?
Joe:      Ummm, Dunno

Clearly writing down what you problem is before solving it would be great.

Unfortunately I only ever have a clear description of my problem at the
very end when the problem is solved.

Chicken or egg first?

/Joe