[erlang-questions] Way of using CRDT?

Jordan West jordanrw@REDACTED
Thu Mar 24 20:25:32 CET 2016

Originally, the Basho/Riak community referred to version vectors as vector
clocks and some of this naming is still evident, like in the examples you
mention. As you stated, how you use the data structure conveys whether or
not it is a version vector or a vector clock. The dotted version vector is
now considered the more correct data structure to use on the server because
it removes the potential for concurrency anomalies (as discussed in the
repo you linked) but some projects either a) do not have a use case that
would trigger that anomaly so they choose to use version vectors (perhaps
accidentally called vector clocks) or b) have not run into/proven the
anomaly to themselves and have not invested time to fix it as a result
(this was the case for Riak pre-2.0).

Hope that helps,
Jordan