[erlang-questions] Any Erlang Devs Contemplating Elixir?

Torben Hoffmann thoffmann@REDACTED
Tue Mar 15 11:32:30 CET 2016

Mikael Pettersson <mikpelinux@REDACTED> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> Zachary Kessin writes:
>  > I for one would love to see an ML-family language on the beam!
>
> I'm working on a Standard ML (SML'97) compiler targeting the
> Erlang/OTP VM.  I hope to have it finished enough to make it
> public sometime this year.

I have been thinking about this a bit, so I'll throw in some questions.

What kind of type system are you using?

I have been told that a type-and-effect system would be the way to
capture the effects of statements on the mailboxes.

Have you given any thought to upgrades?

The problem is that an upgrade can change the types, so that leads to
some thinking about versioning the types. Tricky business.
Without some attention to this it will be hard to evolve a distributed
system.

And then there is interfacing to the external world.
My instinct tells me that it would make sense to attach some sort of
adapter code that will have the type signature
val adapt: binary -> some_type

Which leads me to... how will you describe binary pattern matching?

Very open to further ping-pong offline.

Cheers,
Torben

Torben Hoffmann