[erlang-questions] FIPS compliance

Drew Varner drew.varner@REDACTED
Tue Mar 15 08:06:34 CET 2016

Kapil,

Erlang's cryptography is not FIPS 140-2-certified. There was a pull request to add FIPS compliance via OpenSSL in FIPS mode, but it stalled [1].

Calls to OpenSSL's crypto canister must go through the Envelope (EVP) API calls. The crypto library in Erlang OTP 19 will use EVP calls (exclusively, I assume) [2]. However, EVP calls alone are not enough for FIPS 140-2 support.

If the only problem is terminating incoming HTTP requests, you may be able to get away with proxying the request through a FIPS 140-2 load balancer. rabbitmq-server calls crypto for password hashing. You'd need to replace calls to crypto with calls to a FIPS provider and look for calls made outside of crypto (BIFs like md5, phash).

- Drew

[1] https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/377
[2] http://youtu.be/YlNrWxH56_E