[erlang-questions] mnesia async vs sync

Ryan zzantozz@REDACTED
Thu Mar 10 23:58:14 CET 2016

On 03/10/2016 04:53 PM, Roberto Ostinelli wrote:
> Dear list,
> To my understanding the main difference between the mnesia sync and async activities is that the latter does not wait for a confirmation from all the nodes that a write has been successful before returning.
>
> Thus, I would expect that the write speed of an async activity remains similar even when the number of node increases; however according to my benchmarks this is not true. The write speed decreases when the number of nodes increase.
>
> Can someone enlighten me of why this is?
>
> Thank you in advance.

A quick glance through the mnesia module suggests that async doesn't
mean 100% fire and forget. It appears that some cluster messaging is
still performed before returning on a call with Kind=async. That would
suggest that larger clusters will have slower performance. I don't know
mnesia, so I can't give any further insight than that.