[erlang-questions] REST server

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Wed Mar 9 00:47:09 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Re yaws docs: Could the contents of the article Karolis pointed to be
>>> included in the docs? Or at least a link to it...
>>> /Vlad
>>>

>> There are links to all known Yaws articles and books here:
>>
>> http://yaws.hyber.org/articles.yaws
>>

> Oh, yes, missed that... For the InfoQ article, I wouldn't have guessed
> it's about REST and not "regular" usage.

I wrote it in 2008, 8 years after Roy Fielding wrote his thesis that
defines REST. In the intervening ~16 years, REST has not changed, but the
number of people who misuse the term and apply it incorrectly has grown
tremendously. No web server can make your application RESTful. Some can
help, sure, but if you want to write a system that's actually RESTful, as
defined by Roy's thesis, then you need to read and understand that thesis.
Even implementing Alan Dean's HTTP flowchart as Webmachine does isn't
enough to make your application RESTful. There is no magic. My article
simply shows how to use Yaws to help with organizing your code and show you
how to get at the information you need to help make your application
RESTful.

--steve