[erlang-questions] escript node name resolution

Kenneth Lakin kennethlakin@REDACTED
Tue Mar 8 01:16:20 CET 2016

On 03/07/2016 01:34 PM, Trent Hampton wrote:
> Problem:
> - When we call the generated shell script with a ping; "my_app ping", it
> calls the nodetool ping which calls
>
> {true, pong} = {net_kernel:hidden_connect_node(
> 'my_app@REDACTED'),net_adm:ping('my_app@REDACTED')}.
>
> The tuple returned is usually either {false, pong}, {true, pang}, or
> {false, pang}. While this call does not fail every single time it does
> fail almost every time.

What happens if you add in a timer:sleep(timer:seconds(6)) to the
beginning of your erlang program? If that makes it reliable, then you're
maybe being bitten by something that another fellow ran in to:

A while back, I tracked down what I think was the root cause of a
five-second delay from the startup of a node until you could resolve
names to some code in the inet_db module. The details are in this message:
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2015-November/086806.html