[erlang-questions] [ANN] soap library for Erlang

Ola Bäckström Ola.Backstrom@REDACTED
Fri Mar 4 10:47:59 CET 2016

I have not yet had to do any Soap, but I must add praise for the published work:
Well documented (with good figures!), clean source code from a quick glance, tests available and all without any NIFs.

In the future, if I’d ever face a Soap-dragon, I feel I could use this library as armour and mount my trusty old Erlang-horse …

Best regards
/Ola

From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED [mailto:erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Chandru
Sent: den 4 mars 2016 08:36
To: Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED>
Cc: Erlang Questions <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] [ANN] soap library for Erlang

On 4 March 2016 at 05:23, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED<mailto:ok@REDACTED>> wrote:
On 4/03/16 6:06 am, Chandru.Mullaparthi@REDACTED<mailto:Chandru.Mullaparthi@REDACTED> wrote:

> So I'm pleased to announce our first open source contribution
> to the Erlang community.  An application named 'soap' is now
> available on GitHub which allows you to consume and expose
> web services easily from Erlang.

I see that you've even written documentation worth having for
it too.  I want to say something nice without gushing.
"How kind of you?"  "Well done?"  Something along those lines.

Frankly, having tried to read the SOAP specification, I think
you're programming _heroes_.

Thank you Richard, coming from you I'll take that as high praise :-)

I used to have a quote (I think from the Tex manual by someone named Dick Brandon if I'm not mistaken) on my desk which said something like:
"Documentation is like sex. When it is good, it is very very good. When it is bad it is better than nothing" and use that as a justification for not writing good (any) documentation.

But I've grown up now and know better that without good documentation, the work is only half done, if that.

To give credit where credit is due, Willem wrote all the code and the lion's share of the documentation.

Chandru