[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP 19.0 has been released

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Fri Jun 24 14:44:21 CEST 2016

The documentation is correct - the option was renamed from 'line_delim' to
'line_delimiter'.

In terms of multi-character line delimiters - the default delimiter is
'\n', but it will correctly handle lines separated by "\r\n" - that was the
unmodified legacy behavior. So it'll correctly parse HTTP headers. What's
changed was the ability to specify an alternative delimiting character,
which is useful for some protocols (e.g. FIX that uses '\1').  The choice
of a single character was for having minimal impact on the existing
implementation.

Note that there is a similar PR for file:read_line/1 (
https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/757), but it's currently stalled as it
presently only supports reading in raw mode. If there are any volunteers to
help it get working in the non-raw mode, that would help to get it merged
sooner.