[erlang-questions] Disk-backed log

John Smith 4crzen62cwqszy68g7al@REDACTED
Sun Jun 19 23:43:38 CEST 2016

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 07:34:19 +0200, Mark Bucciarelli <mkbucc@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Can you shard your event log by aggregate type and thus avoid the
> deletion/compaction issue altogether?  I've read some people suggest
> sharding by >aggregate ID if the aggregate type shard is not small
> enough [1].

Probably not, or at least, I can't think of such sharding scheme now.
Also, apart from that, log compaction is still useful in the case of
failure (it is faster to start from an aggregated snapshot than applying
all previous events).

> If you haven't already, you may want to write a simple benchmark that
> append gobs of data to a file. I found a 2013 thread [2] on Erlang
> Questions with a >similar sequential append use case where the OP was
> not happy with Erlang's speed.  But I can't follow his math: writing 5
> Gigabits in 104 seconds seems >like a lot more that 504Hz.  I also found
> people complaining that get_line was slow.  I guess parallel reads would
> be possible inside an aggregate >boundary ...

I do not have any numbers as of now; I am still wandering around this
whole "universal log" concept, but I find it appealing.
I think I will start from a single, simple append-only file with data in
the Kafka format and then I could provide some info.