[erlang-questions] Erlang cookies are secure

Mike Oxford moxford@REDACTED
Sun Jun 12 01:56:50 CEST 2016

​​I've not looked into the Erlang use of the key, I'm only commenting on
the use of MD5 sums ...

MD5 effectively "normalizes" the input to a discrete output space, by
design, as the output length/set is finite.

​If MD5 is weak to hash-collisions (which it is, relatively) then I don't
need to spray the cluster with a single discrete value to get the command
accepted - the range of possibilities goes from "1" to "N" where "N" is the
discrete (but yet unknown) set of values which produce the collision.

You may have used a super high-tech and secure 2048-bit key but if it just
happens to collide with "password" then it'll be found relatively quickly.

Again, haven't looked at Erlang code to see how it's actually used in the
context of this discussion.

-mox

​