[erlang-questions] Updating Myths of Erlang Performance

Björn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Sun Jun 5 07:58:07 CEST 2016

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
[...]
> On the other hand, if your input is a binary, converting + looping might be
> slower than just looping through the binary. Not to mention the extra
> garbage created.
>
> This section should point this out, otherwise we'll end up with users
> converting binaries to list "because lists are faster for this".

Yes, I intended to point that out.

But I think yours and Valentin's feedback shows that this issue is too
complex and subtle to be meaningfully boiled down into a single myth.
We might risk sending out the wrong message. So I will probably not
attempt to add that myth.

/Björn