[erlang-questions] why does rpc:call do this?

Cian Synnott cian@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 03:09:50 CEST 2016

Ah, I think I may have misunderstood your question.

IIUC now, you're asking why the RPC gen_server remains in the loop
once the work has been delegated to the spawned subprocess.

I *think* that's just to properly handle reporting back to the client
when the apply/3 subprocess blows up for some reason.

Without the RPC gen_server monitoring for that, the client would fire
(potentially bad) requests into the void without any acknowledgement
or error messages - which of course may happen anyway, but I guess OTP
is trying to be polite and provide as much information as possible.

Cian