[erlang-questions] [ANN] Eministat 0.10.1 - benchmark statistics for Erlang

Sat Jan 16 17:25:53 CET 2016

Hi Erlangers,

https://github.com/jlouis/eministat

I'm happy to announce a beta of eministat, which is a minimal statistics
application for benchmark measurement. Given two benchmarks runs, with
several samples in each, eministat can analyse these statistically through
the student's t-test. This allows you to put the test cases in relation to
each other and figure out if one of the tests are significantly different
from the other.

The advantage is that when you have variance in your tests, then this tool
is far better at figuring out what to make of the numbers.

The tool is inspired by the ministat(1) application by Poul-Henning Kamp,
and Bryan O'Sullivan's criterion Haskell benchmarking tool, and mixes ideas
from both. A dedicated tool like R is better at extensive stats, but
eministat is a fast quick way of doing the initial work in Erlang itself.

The end goal of this tool is to solve the computational part of
benchmarking and not so much the sampling part itself. It serves as a way
to end arguments about "Is method X faster than Y?" by paying attention to
the statistics in the field. Hopefully this improves all Erlangers attitude
toward performance testing and benchmarking.

Finally, if you have stats-knowledge, and want to cross-check me, I would
be grateful.

--
J.