[erlang-questions] [ANN] erlang-formatter 1.0.0 (go fmt for Erlang)

Pierre Fenoll pierrefenoll@REDACTED
Sun Aug 28 12:01:23 CEST 2016

We had too many discussions about style on a lengthy open source Erlang
project (2600Hz's Kazoo).

We have now as part of our CI checks a style-ensuring tool that formats
.erl .hrl .app.src .escript
in the "standard format" of Emacs' erlang-mode.

https://github.com/fenollp/erlang-formatter is now in version 1.
We use it daily which helps us redirect our shouting at CircleCI instead of
colleagues.

And shouting is certainly great to redirect
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2014-February/076908.html

This implementation uses emacs > 23 under the hood.
* It was the fastest & shortest way to implement
* erlang-mode is the closest thing to a standard there is for formatting
Some other tools / implementations are listed in the project's README.

So far this project helped uncover 4 bugs in erlang-mode which I minified &
reported.

I share this in hope that this can help people & tame some shouting.
A non-Emacs implementation would be amazing (probably faster, more
portable).
With your help this project can turn into a test bed for such an adventure!

A rebar3 fmt plugin is in the works.

Please tell me what you think but I don't care about your religious beliefs
:)

Cheers,
--
Pierre Fenoll